Recipe: Strawberry Shortcake
Hello Summer Time Sweets! Strawberry Shortcake is everything you want in a dessert on a warm Summer day - cold, crisp, sweet and light. An easy treat to whip up, give this recipe a try and it's sure to become a staple at your table.
- ⅔ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Shortening
- 1 large Egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1½ cups All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- ½ cup Milk
- Whipped cream
- 1½ quarts Fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well.
- Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture.
- Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries.
- Replace top of cake; garnish with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream.