Recipe: Braised Lamb Shank
On the prowl for an impressive meal to prepare this Valentine’s Day? This recipe for Braised Lamb Shank requires very little work, but the payoff is utterly delicious. Serve with a starch, a green and a glass of your favorite red, and prepare to indulge!
- 6 Lamb shanks, trimmed of fat
- 1 large Onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 cups Beef stock
- 1 cup Red wine
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- ½ cup Flour
- 1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Bay leaves
- Kosher salt
- Combine flour and pepper in a large Ziplock bag.
- Dredge lamb shanks in flour.
- Heat oil in large frying pan and fry shanks until golden brown on each side. Turnover with tongs.
- Place shanks in Dutch Oven, or large ovenproof pot with lid. Add minced garlic and bay leaves to pot.
- Add onion slices to frying pan. Cook stirring occasionally until onion is soft. Add red wine to frying pan. Cook stirring occasionally until slightly syrupy, approximately five minutes.
- Pour onion mixture over shanks and sprinkle Italian seasoning over shanks.
- Pour beef stock into the pot. Cook in 375˚ F oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve.