Recipe: Flank Steak with Pickled Red Onion
Upgrade your Taco Tuesday! Enjoy this delicious recipe for Flank Steak with Pickled Red Onion wrapped in crisp butter lettuce leaves for a low-carb steak taco and prepare to be amazed.
- 6 tbsp. Gochujang
- 3 tbsp. Mirin
- 1 tbsp. & ½ cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp. Toasted Sesame Oil
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled
- 1-inch piece Ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 lb. Flank Steak
- 2 tbsp. Sambal Oelek
- 12 oz. Coca-Cola
- ½ cup Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 large Red Onions, thinly sliced
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 heads Butter Lettuce
- Pulse Gochujang, Mirin, 1 tbsp. soy sauce, the sesame oil, garlic, and ginger in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl with flank steak, cover, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours to marinate.
- Simmer remaining soy sauce, Sambal Oelek, and Coca-Cola in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium until reduced by 2⁄3, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and lime juice; pour over onions in a 1-qt. glass jar with lid. Let sit uncovered 2 hours; cover and refrigerate until ready to use, or for up to 2 weeks.
- Heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium. Remove steak from marinade, pat dry with paper towels, and season with salt and pepper; grill, turning as needed, until slightly charred and cooked to desired doneness, 6–8 minutes for medium-rare or until an instant-read thermometer reads 125°.
- Let steak rest 10 minutes; thinly slice against the grain.
- To serve, wrap steak slices and pickled onions in lettuce leaves.